Each year in Pennsylvania, ARC provides funding for numerous projects in the Appalachian Region in a wide range of program areas. The projects funded in the program areas create thousands of new jobs, improve local water and sewer systems, increase school readiness, expand access to health care, assist local communities with strategic planning and provide technical and managerial assistance to emerging businesses.
The state will look favorably at projects where there are new business start-ups and job creation and at those projects that will enhance the community and economic vitality of the state. When approving a particular project, the state will also consider whether the project will improve, on a continuing rather than a temporary basis, the opportunities for employment and the average level of income or economic and social development of the area served by the project.
Goals associated with ARC projects include: Economic Opportunities; Ready Workforce; Critical Infrastructure; Natural and Cultural Assets; Leadership and Community Capacity.
Anchor Institution; Local Government; Non-Profit Organization
Eligible Recipients Detail:
Eligible ARC Applicants: Local Development Districts; Indian Tribes or a consortium of Indian Tribes; States, counties, cities or other political subdivision of a state, including a special purpose unit of a state or local government engaged in economic or infrastructure development activities, or a consortium of political subdivisions; Institutions of higher education or a consortium of institutions of higher education; Public or private non-profit organizations or associations.
Building Connectivity; Anchor Institution Connectivity; Last Mile Connectivity; Middle Mile Connectivity; General Infrastructure; Broadband-Technologies Workforce Training
Eligible Purpose Detail:
1) Technical assistance projects that:
-Provide services to a community or region to enhance business development
-Meet the criteria for immediate, permanent job creation/retention or strategic plan implementation
2) Construction and infrastructure development Including site preparation, water, sewer, broadband, or other needed improvements.
3) Industrial site development
3) Local access road (only road construction-related activities)
4) Local government assistance projects providing for service consolidation, management assistance or any other arrangements directed to more effective delivery of programs and services.
5) Acquisition and development business incubator or multi-tenant facilities
6) Destination or asset-based tourism
7) Not-for-profit entities